**The Botanical Gardens will re-open on 20th July, daily, between 10.00am and 4.00pm. Please note that not all facilities will be open.** Singleton Park Botanical Gardens house one of Wales' premier plant collections, with herbaceous borders, wildflower garden and three large glasshouses.
Botanical Gardens Singleton Park
The botanical gardens is now open. The friends plant shop is also open. We opened on Saturday 29th August and following strict social distancing rules and visitors to the Botanical Gardens in Singleton Park can, once again, purchase plants. Card and contactless purchases only please.
There will be volunteers on hand to direct visitors and offer advice.
It is the responsibility of every visitor to take sensible COVID-19 precautions as advised by the Welsh Government.
The Plant Shop will continue to open from 10am to 2pm, Wednesdays and Saturdays through September. From October until December it will only be open on Wednesdays 10am – 2pm
There is something to see throughout the year in the Botanical Gardens. The herbaceous borders are a fantastic sight from late March until mid October and the variety of glasshouses offer shelter in inclement weather. So even during the harsh winter months the garden has lots to offer.
In 1919 the private estate of the wealthy Vivian family was bought by the Swansea Corporation for use as a public park. In 1926 the Educational Gardens were officially opened as a “collection of economic plants and British flora”. Renamed in 1991 as the Botanical Gardens they contain a renowned double herbaceous border and many mature trees of national importance. In addition there are fine specimens of rare and exotic plants from around the world as well as a rock garden, herb garden, and the new wildflower garden which opened in 2017.
The 40 metre double herbaceous borders were part of the original Educational Gardens created in the 1920’s and their layout is little changed since those times. It is entirely possible that some of the plants found here are divisions of those originally planted.
The large aluminium glasshouses were constructed in the early 1990’s on the site of the original wooden Tropical and Show glasshouses which had become unsafe. They include a Cactus House with succulents from the desert regions, a Temperate House with plants from Mediterranean-like areas of the world, an Economic House containing plants from around world with various economic uses, and finally a Tropical House with plants from the jungles and rainforests of the world, planted to give a naturalistic setting and kept warm at temperatures above 12° C.
OPENING & CLOSING TIMES
January – February 10.00am – 3.30pm
March – April 10.00am – 4.30pm
May – September 10.00am – 6.00pm
October 10.00am – 4.30pm
November – Dece
Pedestrian entrances to Botanical gardens:
Enter Botanical Gardens at Swiss cottage, West gate or North gate in buttressed wall.
Car parking : Blue Badge parking only from Gower Road entrance SA2 9BY. Public carpark by Sketty Cross.
Coach parking: contact 07817 200 193
Bus : services 10, 20, 21, 22, alight at Brynmill Lane
Green Flag Award